What is the Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) project?
It’s a 65 km stretch connecting Tumkur Road to Hosur road via Bellary road and Old Madras road. It runs around most of the perimeter of Bangalore city.
Why is this problematic?
33,838 trees in danger!
The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) proposed Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) project nearly 3 years ago.
PRR project timeline:
BDA initially submitted an EIA report claiming that 200 trees will be cut
Horticulture and Forest department then submitted a contradicting report indicating that 16,685 trees will be felled
National Green Tribunal (NGT) notices this discrepancy and asks for the submission of a fresh EIA report
In June 2020, BDA submitted the revised EIA report that states 33,838 trees across 25 acres of forest land, and 6 water bodies will be under threat because of this project.
- In July 2020, the state government announced a public hearing on the PRR project in the midst of the Corona pandemic.
- The Public consultation scheduled for 11 am on August 18th at Nityotsava Kalyana Mantapa was called off by Minister of Environment, Anand Singh.
- Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) conducted a public hearing on August 11, flouting an order from the Minister of Environment.
- Virtual hearing scheduled for September 3 is postponed.
What are we asking for?
Provide the Detailed Project Report.
Conduct fresh EIA, based on exact details of the project.
Scrap the PRR project until fresh DPR and EIA report is provided.
Live tweets from Virtual PRR hearing
What you can do?
Jhatkaa.org has prepared a template message with topline concerns. Feel free to add more suggestions when sending the response. Last date of sending response via email is 15 September 2020. With a single click email will be sent to KSPCB, BDA and Deputy Commissioner Bangalore Urban
Dates for virtual hearing
1. Meeting on 23 September 2020 at 11 am.
Meeting id – 850 1729 9310
Concerns to be raised during public hearing
- Felling of 33,838 trees will be a gigantic loss to the environment of Bengaluru. The initial Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) was deemed erroneous and rejected by the National Green Tribunal. As in the initial report, it was suggested that only 200 trees will be impacted.
- A 100-metre road in a forest area is highly detrimental to wildlife and should not be allowed, it can be detrimental to wildlife in the near vicinity.
- PRR is passing along and going over 6 lakes. Bangalore urban district is highly deficient in water, and building the PRR road would further exacerbate the problem. When facing gross groundwater deficiency with resources already overexploited, water resources would be further stressed by having a Ring Road which will greatly exacerbate the problem.
- The Thippagondanahalli reservoir will be irretrievably damaged by the prr going through it and the attempts of the government to restore it will be severely compromised.
- The Ring Road alignment has been changed since the initial project report and therefore this project should be rendered as a new project under the Karnataka Town Planning Act
- The current EIA report lacks clarity on the compensation to be given to people loosing land. Details of rehabilitation and relocation are not clear. Moreover, the compensation per individual land loser per village is not given.
- Close to one million people are likely to be impacted by the project.In the current times when COVID cases are on the rise, many people may not be able to participate in public consultations. A number of people may not have access to the internet and therefore cannot participate in the public hearing process.
- The Report states that 1451 structures will be impacted but it does not give the location village-wise of these structures. Since the project has been delayed by 15 years, the BDA officials had themselves told us that 2/3rd of the alignment is built up. Tearing down these structures may lead to a law and order problem. Show of brute force by the government will not go down with the people.
Scrap the PRR project until fresh DPR and EIA is provided.
ಪೆರಿಫೆರೆಲ್ ರಿಂಗ ರಸ್ತೆ ಯೋಜನೆಯ DPR ಇಲ್ಲದೆ ಸಾರ್ವಜನಿಕ ಸಮಾಲೋಚನೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಮಾಡ್ತೀರ BDAಯವರೆ?
@CMofKarnataka @NGTribunal @Jhatkaadotorg
#PRR #DPRಎಲ್ಲಿ #DPRತೋರಿಸಿ #DPR_torisi #DPR_yelli
DPR ತಾಯರಿಲ್ಲದೆ ಪೆರಿಫೆರೆಲ್ ರಿಂಗ್ ರಸ್ತೆಯ ಸಮಾಲೋಚನೆಗೆ ಸಾರ್ವಜನಿಕರನ್ನ ಕರೆದರೆ ಏನು ಪ್ರಯೋಜನ? ಮೊದಲುDPR_ತೋರಿಸಿ ನಂತರ ಸಮಾಲೋಚನೆಗೆ ಕರೆಯಿರಿ. bit.ly/3gNThoi @CMofKarnataka @NGTribunal @Jhatkaadotorg
#PRR #DPRಎಲ್ಲಿ #DPRತೋರಿಸಿ #DPR_torisi #DPR_yelli
The BDA had falsely claimed that just 200 trees will be felled for the PRR project. Send a message bit.ly/3gNThoi demanding that they are held accountable for this erroneous EIA report. @CMofKarnataka @NGTribunal @Jhatkaadotorg
The BDA had falsely claimed that just 200 trees will be felled for the PRR project. Send a message bit.ly/3gNThoi demanding that they be held accountable for this erroneous EIA report. @CMofKarnataka @NGTribunal @Jhatkaadotorg