The Right to Information Act (RTI), 2005 is an Act of the Parliament of India “to provide for setting out the practical regime of right to information for citizens.” It is a tool that enables citizens to seek personal information as well as information regarding the community and the state’s operation.
The nodal body for implementing the Act in the country is Dept of Personnel and Training, Government of India.
RTI is a powerful tool. Here, we break down how to use RTI to support your community and hold government bodies accountable.
2. Sign up on the website
3. Submit Request
4. Agree to the terms and conditions
5. Fill out your query
Some tips before you file your query:
– Be specific in your question
– Separate your questions according to the answer you want
– Think about what the answer can be and reverse engineer your question to ensure you are asking the right question
– Think about why you are asking the question and what you want to do with the answer
6. Pay a nominal fee of Rs.10 to submit the RTI
7. Save the receipt
We hope this blog empowers you with the information you need to use RTI as an effective tool.